Wednesday, May 25, 2011

25 May 1957 “Mind your Manners”

First off, I want to start today’s post with a kind, “Thank you” to one of my wonderful new followers: Daisy Lew

She recently commented the following and made me feel rather quite good:


“I did it! I read through all of your blog posts, starting at the very beginning! I feel as though I know you very well now. I hope that's not too creepy and stalker-ish. I admire you very much and think very highly of all of your accomplishments over the past 2 1/2 years. You are an inspiration, as I'm sure you know!

READ MORE

Just so it's not all one-sided, here's a little bit about me - I'm a 33yo librarian in Ohio. I am happily married to a wonderful man and love my job! No kids, but we live in a big shabby old house with a huge garden, a bunch of dogs, several thousand books and a vintage tube amp that is my husband's pride and joy.



My grandmothers were both homemakers. One still is, and also ran a 4-H club where she taught sewing for many years. I know how to cook, knit, sew, bake, garden, etc etc - unfortunately I don't have time to do any of it as much as I would like, and I'm getting a bit rusty with the sewing! Inspired by the beautiful outfits you create, I'm starting a dress. It isn't a vintage pattern, but it's simple and I'm using a sheet for fabric - so much cheaper ($3 at Goodwill), and it should be light and pretty for summer.


I'm very excited about it, but of course it has to be put on hold so that I can plant my garden this week, and bake pies (German Chocolate and Dutch Apple - I live in Amish country, don'tcha know!) for my FIL's retirement party this weekend.



Anyway, so pretend we just had a little chat over coffee - I'm the new gal in your neighborhood I guess! Thanks for all the sharing you do - it's really lovely.
Call me Daisy Lew!”


I am always honored when someone pays me such a lovely compliment for my writing. That they have enjoyed my project through my documentation of it makes me feel quite proud and rather humbled as well. Though, I am not sure how Miss Amy Vanderbilt would have had me acknowledge such a compliment here online, I hope my saying thank you formally here and my wishing you a hearty welcome to our lovely community shall suffice. And, indeed, Welcome Daisy Lew, and thank you all who take the time in your busy day to read my little scribblings here about my various moments in my odd little vintage life.

Concerning Miss Amy Vanderbilt, I thought it’d behoove me to share some of her tips today. I am not certain if I have shared this particular page before, but I love these Do’s and Don’t for Gentleman. (simply click to enlarge and read)

dosdontmen

And I will close with this helpful video on Minding one’s manners: I will include another on table manners in todays Vintage Daily News below.

We finally have some warm sunny weather so I am rather late with today’s post. I am, however, anxious to get back out to my much neglected gardens. Have a wonderful day and Happy Homemaking.

1 comment:

  1. You totally made my day! I feel a little bit famous or something. :)

    Have a great holiday weekend.
    -Daisy Lew

    ReplyDelete

 Search The Apron Revolution