Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Summer Ends

Labor Day has come and gone. Summer has spent its vivid bright moments of bike rides to the shore, lazing in sun dappled lawns and sandy footed screen door slams.

I am working away on my art work. And though this weekend past was anything but conducive for picnic, I couldn't help but think of the wonderful movie Picnic from 1955. I shared it once, but the entire movie is no longer available to view for free online, but this snippet has such a feel of summer and the sizzle of big Hollywood films of the mid 1950s. William Holden and Kim Novak sizzle and the colors and film quality makes me think of cotton candy and wrinkled cotton prints, dotted swiss and cold potato salad.

 

boygirlstraw Oddle enough there is a filmed staged version from the mid 1980's that star some up and coming actors many of you may recognize. It is not bad and would be good for a night you want to stay in but instead make a fun dinner theatre spread, have your friends dress 1950's and watch this version, maybe will sipping old fashioned soda pop out of glass bottles with paper straws.

 

My shared work for today is called "the Secret". When I stumbled upon the old photo of young gals at the beach with a cigarette I was drawn in. And with the current style of slightly abstracted screen-printed image over mono prints, I thought it was successful, as it both appears as a shared cigarette or as a surprise one gal is showing the other.

thesecret

Back to work for me. I hope all have a lovely day and Happy Homemaking and Happy Artmaking.

1 comment:

  1. I've just discovered your blog and I look forward to reading through the archives I think it's really neat!
    Thanks for sharing the clip from Picnic! I'd never seen anything from the film before. My grandma named my mum Kim after seeing the movie (she's born in 1956). Apparently in the hospital they told her you couldn't name a baby Kim, only Kimberly was a proper name, but my gran didn't listen and chose Kim anyway! Cheeky!

    ReplyDelete

 Search The Apron Revolution